Tanzania, Africa


"The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company

I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become"

- Africa by Toto
























































Greetings from Tanzania! A place full of such beauty deserves a post of massive length. During the first six days of our trip in Tanzania we remained on the mainland and pretty much lived (notwithstanding the nights) in the safari cars. We first drove from Kilimandjaro to Arusha, then to the Ngorongoro hills from where we drove to Serengeti and then back to Ngorongoro Crater. We went on three safaris, and stayed in hotels, lodges, and at a camp site in the great Serengeti National Park. We also visited a Masai village where the Masai tribe showed us around. 

-->
I learned various funny things. For example when the old leader of the pack of elephants gets old it gets kicked out of the pack. However, usually after some lonesome wondering it finds other elder elephants that form their own senior bachelor squad.  Or the fact that you can almost always find some Knu running because once one starts to run, everyone else follows. One time we were cut off from the road by a herd of at least a thousand knu running in what seemed like a never ending queue, an oddly relaxing sight.

The scenery possessed this unreal beauty that left me aghast on various occasions. Everything looked like it was straight out of fantasy novels and movies. I remember standing on a hill looking over the massive Ngorongoro Crater, or driving through the seemingly never-ending savannah of Serengeti, and just feeling like a tiny little particle compared to it all. To put things into perspective, one of the trees we drove by was several hundred years old, and will probably go on to live another several hundred years. I'm lucky if I last even one century. In a place like that it's hard to believe that beauty as such was not designed but came to be by chance.

Of all fancy lodges we stayed in, the camp in which we stayed for two nights in the midst of Serengeti was still my favorite. I loved the sense of adventure it brought, with the wild animals wondering outside our tents during the night and the fire, around which we sat watching the sun set beyond the horizon. 
The last lodge was great as well because it was high up and provided a view over the whole Ngorongoro Crater, although I would not suggest it to people who are afraid of heights. The sixth day marked the end of our journey on the actual continent, as we took a small propel plane to Zanzibar, an autonomous island on the southern coast of Tanzania. So we went, 'from the bush to the beach' as said by the local pilot (who hated flying). If my feelings were to be condensed in two words, I'd say the experience left me extremely humbled and grateful.





Kisses,
J